Friday, April 9, 2010

The Great Cake Debate


I blogged before about my utter shock at the price quote of flour, sugar and eggs- also known as a wedding cake. After the initial sticker shock wore off, I reassessed my budget to see what we could realistically accomodate. I added a couple of hundred dollars to the cake section, but something about it didn't sit right with me. So I looked into other options. I searched the net for budget friendly options like cup cakes, pies and perhaps not going through a posh little bakery. It is during this search that I found a beautiful cake in an unlikely source.



That's right- Lucky food stores. At first I was a little apprehensive to the idea. I mean, it's Lucky! It's not a home grown bakery that has built their business from the ground up and all that. I felt a little guilty for being so "cheap" when it came time to something for the wedding, but I just couldn't sit with the idea of paying 300% mark up for a simple, three tiered, square cake. I wanted no fancy design or sugar flowers- so I didn't think $6 a person was an acceptable price. Sue me.

How I stumbled upon Lucky is actually pretty interesting. I was early to work one morning and decided that I would check one final local bakery to ask about their wedding cakes. I got the information from the owner of bakery one, surpressing my expected shock when she spoke of per person costs and delivery fees. I walked out into the cool morning air and looked to my left- then I walked next door to Lucky.
I popped into their bakery department and asked if they did special event cakes like weddings. The lady behind the counter was very helpful and handed me a book and told me that they definitely did wedding cakes, but that they didn't deliver. All of a sudden, I found it. The cake to end all cakes! It was square, in my wedding colors and under $400!!! I preceeded to get super excited, take a picture of the picture with my cell phone and email Mr. Yankee what he thought.

"I like it. It's simple, classic and CHEAP. :)"

..typical boy.
So I called and make a cake tasting/consultation appointment with the cake decorate for Tuesday at 1 o'clock! And barring any disasters- I think we may have found out cake vendor! Beautiful and within my budget?! Yes please! 

How about the brides out there?! Did your wedding planning take you to unexpected places?!

No comments:

Post a Comment