Sunday, October 24, 2010

Bittersweet Symphony.. Recap Part One: The Welcome Dinner

Author's Note: I walked down the aisle to the instrumental version of The Verve's Bittersweet Symphony [and heard it twice while we were on our honeymoon!]. I love the classical string in the song and feel that it was truly meant to be my song. So to tie all of my recap posts together, I will start each with the title of Bittersweet Symphony. I hope you enjoy the recaps as much as I enjoy sharing them with you! :o)

While I wait for the professional photos from the awesome, amazing, beautiful and very talented Dorothy Hatchel- I thought I'd share the details of our wedding weekend starting with our Welcome Dinner.

Our wedding weekend officially began the Friday before the wedding, where we had a "Welcome Dinner" for the family and wedding party. Being that I had some aunts fly in from out of town and members of the wedding party that didn't know each other very well, I thought it would be a good idea for everyone to get together in a relaxed environment and hang out. I was hoping it would be an opportunity to break the ice and while the house remained somewhat divided, I was happy everyone came together.

The dinner was held at my moms house, with her husband the creative chef at the helm for food. Since Mr.Yankee is Japanese, our chef was really insistent on combining the flavors of the east and west into the dinner menu. For some reason, J [my mom's husband] thought it would be a good idea to make a sushi pizza- combining Japanese and Italian cuisine... That was until my mom and I explained that we were German/Irish and not Italian. J thought this was impossible because my mom was from back east... I guess everyone from New Jersey/New York is Italian.

Luckily we had a pretty normal menu... but one thing J decided we had to have was Balut... If you'd like to know more about it, click here.... While I respect the cultural aspect of the dish, the idea of it makes my stomach churn... But the boys [and one of my rock star bridesmaids] took part in sucking down the egg. Their opinion? It was more gross looking than anything else and a little chewy. Still not enough for me to try it, but who am I to stop someone else?!

After dinner Mr. Yankee, myself and two of Mr. Yankee's groomsmen made the trip back to our condo where there were some drinks and conversation. At about midnight I was done for the evening and went to bed, trying to prepare myself for the rehearsal on Saturday.

...Did any other brides have a welcome event for their friends and family?

Next Up: We Rehearse!

No comments:

Post a Comment