Thursday, September 2, 2010

We're Licensed!

PERSONAL PHOTO- HE LOOKS SO EXCITED, NO?

It is official! Mr. Yankee and I can actually, legally and truly get married. I am so excited, giddy, nervous, humbled and honored that we are almost at the close of this process. It really hit home for me that this is it- we are in the home stretch.
I was also thinking of the history involved in Mr. Yankee and I obtaining our marriage license. The fact that we can run down to the Civic Center, write a check and obtain permission to get married is a blessing [and a quandary] onto itself. Being a history graduate, I can't help but think of all the inter racial couples who came before us who did not have the right to marry. It's sickening to think California banned the miscegenation of Asians and Whites until a 1948 court case overturned it. I am amazed that the government felt [and still feels in the case of homosexual couples] it has the right to stipulate who can get married and who cannot. How can a government entity dictate who we love?! How we love?! It's no one's business.
So while I am thankful for the ability to be able to marry the sweetest, most beautiful person I know, I also keep close to my heart all of those who do not share in the same privilege.

1 comment: