Saturday, February 13, 2010

I gave her my ring, she gave me a piece of paper!

My ring is roughly 1.5 years old. Mr. Yankee purchased it in its completed form in November, 2008 and proposed in December. Making it fairly young in terms of jewelry life. So imagine my surprise as, when we were watching 'The Skulls' from our Netflix list I noticed what felt like a hard scratch on my ring only to notice that the scratch was not just a scratch. It was cracked the whole way through.

source

Now my ring isn't as bad as the one pictured above, but you can definitely pull the ring apart if you so desired. At first I didn't know what to think. My mind went blank in a state of shock. This wasn't something that Mr. Yankee created in a back office on his spare time. This was a Tacori brand setting done by professional jewelers. So how, I was wondering, did this happen?! I do not work in any industry that requires banging of my hands against any hard materials. Quite the opposite- I work in a office with soft things like paper. I think the worst that has ever happened to my ring was the diamond getting caught in between a drawer. If anything I baby my e-ring. It is very special to me and I love it so. I keep it with me everywhere I go and take it off only when I shower or wash my hands. And while I was figuring out how this happened, I started to go into a mild rage. "How DARE they sell this to Mr. Yankee! He paid good money for this beautiful piece of jewelry."

As I tried to wrap my mind around what was happening, Mr. Y just shrugged his shoulders and simply said, "Well, white gold is a weak metal. All they have to do is sauter it back together. It shouldn't cost too much." With that my head snapped up and I nearly shouted, "It shouldn't cost anything! You just bought this thing! White gold isnt THAT weak." But Mr. Yankee being the calm fellow he is simply shrugged his shoulders, giggled to himself and continued to watch the movie. Meanwhile I sat fuming, unable to focus on anything other than my ring. I knew it was going to have to be shipped off to be repaired and I was dreading the upcoming absence. I had never been away from my ring- I was lucky Mr. Yankee guessed the right size and it never had to be adjusted. Now I was going to have to be without it for undisclosed amount of time.


source

This morning I went into the store where Mr. Yankee purchased my ring and explained the situation. The manager of the store assured me that Tacori stands behind their brand and that they will take care of the crack at no charge. She couldn't, however, give me a time frame for when my ring will be back. I gave her my ring and she gave me a piece of a paper. Needless to say, it was a hard task to walk away from my beautiful ring and it made appreciate the piece of jewelry all the more. But I will survive. With a naked finger.

Any brides out there have to temporarily give up their ring? How did you survive?

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, I am so sorry this happened to you!! I was having ring separation anxiety even when it was off my finger for 5 minutes while they cleaned it at the jewelry store! Hopefully now when it comes back it will be better and stronger than ever!

    ReplyDelete